Monday 17 October 2011

Willkommen, Bienvenue, Welcome!

Im Miss Guised, au Miss Guised, to Miss Guised!

Unfortunately every video I can find of the wonderful Willkommen from Cabaret (one of my favourite films) has embeddding disabled and not being savvy enough to figure out another way to have a neat wee version of the Youtube video below (if indeed there is another way) I shall instead include a bog standard link here. Do watch it if you get the chance - watch the film in fact, it's fantastic.

But where was I? Yes, welcome to Miss Guised!

Anyone who knows me knows that I love dressing up. Sometimes I dress up as famous people, sometimes I pretend I'm from another period of history, and sometimes I just like recreating the standards (witch, cowgirl, cat etc.). I've been told by a few people that I should find some sort of outlet for my creativity, and what better than a blog to showcase my 'looks'?!

How shall I begin? I know, a brief history of my obsession with dressing up and costume.

For as long as I can remember I have loved putting on an outfit and pretending to be someone else. Quite often this involved hoiking an old petticoat up to my oxters and draping a net curtain over my head to become a beautiful bride. At other times it simply involved putting on a nice hat.


That's me aged around 18 months wearing a hat that belonged to my late Gran. I loved that hat. Plus it disguised my relative lack of hair at the time.

Like almost every child I loved posing for photos (and videos), acting out whatever fantasy I was currently obsessed with - even if this did mean posing in a worryingly shiny shirt and pretending a maraca was a microphone.


Halloween was (and still is) a favourite time. Childhood costumes included a snowflake (NOT a fairy), a bag of flour and the Mona Lisa (complete with a picture frame around my neck). And didn't I make a very scary witch?


I would show you some other wonderful costumes from my childhood but I'm restricted to what I have on my laptop I'm afraid. Maybe we'll save some of the others for future posts.

Anyway, as I'm sure you've gathered, I have always loved dressing up. I even spent 4 years working at The Real Mary King's Close as a costumed, character tour guide! Don't worry, I'll post photos of my time there at a later date. I have some costume photos ready to go, taken over the last few years, but I plan to do some brand new ones too. If anyone has a suggestion or request of something/someone you'd like to see me 'transform' into then please feel free to say so in the comments!

For now though, I bid you auf Wiedersehen, au revoir, goodbye!

No comments: