Tuesday 18 October 2011

Wagner hell is going on?

I'm having difficulty deciding which 'look' to showcase next. Do I show you some of my past Halloween outfits, or save them for a couple of weeks' time? Do I jump straight in and show you what is definitely the most famous of my creations? Ah hell, why ever not!

One evening last year, whilst watching The X Factor, I decided to have a go and make myself up to look like that year's novelty contestant - Wagner Carrilho! For anyone who didn't watch The X Factor last year and somehow escaped the joy that was Wagner, here is the man himself:



How could you not love him? Plus, he is very distinctive looking which made him an ideal person to recreate the look of. The open-necked white shirt, the big hooped earrings, the dark/grey to blonde dutch ponytail, and of course the moustache - iconic. So I had a go, and here is my Wagner Tribute:



Tada! As luck would have it I happen to own similar earrings, and what passes as a very classy medallion. Plus only a couple of days beforehand I had 'ombred' my hair giving me that authentic roots look that Wagner has going on. The moustache was mascara, and the chest hair was all my own ;)

I was pretty pleased by my attempt and got very good feedback from the friends I showed it to on Facebook. I posted it on Twitter and sent it to The Guardian's Stu Heritage who writes their X Factor live blog and he and a few others retweeted it. But that wasn't the extent of my 'fame', oh no. I decided to tweet it at Matt Edmondson who, at the time, created the online fan based show the F Factor. The F Factor was, by that time, officially affiliated with the X Factor and was shown on the official website. The opening credits of each episode usually featured a drawing or photograph that fans had sent in. It turned out that they liked my Wagner so much that they wanted to use it, hurrah!



Check me out in the opening credits! FAME!!!!!!!!!

Ahem. I'd best not let my three whole seconds of national exposure go to my head. But yes, my Wagner had been seen by (according to the Youtube views) 25,619 people. Pretty impressive, no? I was pleased, at any rate.

Wagner isn't the only X Factor contestant that I mimicked, but I'll save the other two (three?) for another post.

Goodbye!

No comments: